Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dump Cake

Remember when I told you, here, that my style was easy and leaned towards healthy?  Well, with today's post, you can forget all about that "healthy" bit.  Healthy is not how I would describe this dish.  Not in the least.  Easy though...easy is definitley in the description.

Here's what you need:

1/2 cake mix (I think yellow tastes the best with this)
1 can pie filling
1 stick of butter

Here's what you do.  Oh, and I should note, I have cut this recipe in half because that's plenty of dessert for us.  But, it's traditionally made in a 9x13 pan instead of a pie plate.

Okay, on with the show.

Preheat the oven to 350

Spray a pie plate with nonstick spray and dump the pie filling in.


Now take the cake mix, and dump half of it on top of the pie filling.  If you have a good eye, just guess where "half" is.  If you're a nerd like me, you can calculate that half of the cake mix is 258 grams and use your kitchen scale to get an exact measurement.  Save the other half for next time.


Now take that stick of butter (preferably right out of the fridge) and cut it into little pats (or is it "pads"?) and arrange them on top of the cake mix.


Then just pop it into the oven for 45-60 minutes.  When the filling is bubbling and the top looks golden, it's done.  Now would be a good time for me to insert a completed Dump Cake picture.  But, stop searching.  It won't be making an appearance today because as soon as it was done, we went over to our neighbors for game night and the dump cake went with us. No time for pictures.

Traditionally, when you do not half the recipe, a lot of people use one can of cherry pie filling and one can of crushed pineapple.  Maybe that sounds more appealing to you, but I will stick with my raspberry bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment