Friday, January 1, 2010

Sausage and Peppers over Pasta

I'm not even going to attempt to post a picture of this dish because most pictures of food I take give me the exact opposite reaction than they should.  But, trust me, this is delicious.  It has now become my favorite meal.  Since Tuesday was my birthday, I requested our in-house chef make this for me.  I don't know where he found the recipe.  Maybe he didn't find it, maybe he created it out of thin air, he's been known to do such things.  What I do know is that this is absolutely delicious, and absolutely not fat free.  Try it today!  Or, shop for the ingredients today, and try it tomorrow.  It's probably not stuff you have lying around. 

I strongly encourage you to read this recipe through before you make it, as I am kind of a random recipe writer and probably have things out of order.  As for measurements, well, our personal chef is more of a "visual" guy so these are his best estimates.

1 lb mild Italian sausage
1/4 c onion (whatever your favorite kind is)
1 yellow pepper, cut into strips
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 can diced tomatoes (of course fresh is always better, but a can will do)
1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
2 cloves minced garlic (we like garlic...maybe this is too much for some)
salt and pepper to taste

In one large pot, brown the italian sausage with some salt and pepper.  When completely browned, remove from pot.  In a seperate skillet, start heating some olive oil and garlic.  Add onions to this skillet and sautee until the onions are translucent.  Add the can of diced tomatoes (juice and all) and heat this all together.  Meanwhile, in the large pot, start heating a bit of olive oil and throw in the peppers.  We do these seperately because we like our peppers a little crisp yet browned and if we added them with the rest of the stuff, they would not get browned and might be overcooked.  Add the heavy whipping cream to the tomatoes mixture and heat through.  Throw the sausage back in with the peppers (in the big pot) and add the tomatoe mixture to the sausage and pepper mixture.  Mix this all up and serve it over your choice of noodles.  We like whole wheat thin spaghetti.  We also like to serve this up with garlic bread.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment